Shenango Township woman facing DUI charges after car accident

On Behalf of | May 9, 2017 | Blog, Firm News

New Castle police have filed DUI charges against a Shenango Township woman who caused a head-on accident and severe injuries to the other driver. The injured driver in this New Castle accident was 80 years old and passed away a few weeks after the collision. This shows how devastating car crashes caused by drunk driving can be.

If you are injured by a drunk driver, you might be wondering what you can do. Here are your options to get compensation for your injuries.

Insurance claim

You should try to get an adequate settlement from the insurance company for your injuries and losses. If the other driver gets a DUI conviction, your claim is likely to be more successful. 

Dram shop claim

Pennsylvania law enables you to bring a civil suit, known as a dram shop claim, against a business that served or sold alcohol to the intoxicated driver under certain circumstances. You might have a basis for a dram shop claim if a bar served the driver alcohol and the driver was mentally unstable, an alcoholic or under the legal drinking age of 21.

Personal injury lawsuit

Because Pennsylvania has a “no fault” insurance law, pursuing a personal injury lawsuit can seem somewhat complicated at first, but it can be accomplished under the right circumstances. You can choose to pursue a “limited tort” or “full tort” option. If you have serious injuries from the accident, you might pass the no-fault threshold, and bringing a lawsuit could be easier.

Getting hit by a drunk driver is a traumatizing experience. If you have an experience like this, make sure you do not pursue everything on your own. A personal injury attorney can help you decide what actions to take and advise you throughout the process.

Martindale-Hubbell | AV PREEMINENT | Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence | 2020
Super Lawyer Badge 2021