LGKG | Luxenberg + Garbett + Kelly + George
LGKG | Luxenberg + Garbett + Kelly + George

Call Toll-Free: 800.655.3870

Call now to schedule a free initial consultation

PH 724.658.8535

TF 800.655.3870

Who should you alert in an instance of nursing home abuse?

Learning that a loved one has suffered abuse in a nursing home is a nightmare nobody wants to experience. It is unfortunately true, however, that many elderly residents are victims of negligence and other forms of abuse. There are many physical, behavioral and mental symptoms that may indicate this is occurring, but once the issue comes to light, you might be wondering who exactly to go to. 

There are a number of resources available in such situations, but it is necessary to know who your first contacts should be. The following three are the most important people and authorities to get in touch with immediately following the discovery of any nursing home abuse. 

Law enforcement authorities

According to ABC News, more than 25 percent of all nursing home abuse cases were not reported to the authorities. Anyone who knows of an incident which results in harm to a victim should report it to law enforcement right away. In addition to legal and professional implications for the party or parties responsible, there are typically criminal consequences for serious cases resulting in injury. Police will be able to handle the case and file charges if necessary.

A legal representative

If your loved one is a victim of abuse in a nursing home, you might not think that a legal representative is necessary—you are the innocent party, after all. Hiring an attorney is, in fact, a wise choice in this scenario. You may need to prepare to take legal action, and doing so may even be a necessity to recoup expenses associated with your loved one’s recovery.

State health authorities

Abuse and negligence are serious offenses that the health authorities in your jurisdiction need to know about. Staff in nursing homes typically must hold a license or certification of some kind, and it is imperative that the governing authority receives information about any infraction which should affect caregivers' credentials. The state nursing board generally receives complaints involving suspected abuse.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact The Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Locations

Lawrence County
315 North Mercer Street
New Castle, PA 16101

Toll Free: 800-655-3870
Phone: 724-658-8535
Fax: 724-658-8013
New Castle Law Office Map

Butler County
220 South Main Street
Butler, PA 16001

Phone: 724-283-4244
Map & Directions

Beaver County
1126 6th Avenue
Beaver Falls, PA 15010

Phone: 724-846-4400
Map & Directions

Lawrence County
317 7th Street
Ellwood City, PA 16117

Phone: 724-758-7581
Map & Directions

Butler County - Cranberry Township
2009 Mackenzie Way
Suite 177
Cranberry Township, PA 16066

Phone: 724-452-1425
Map & Directions

'= '