Being involved in an auto accident is a scary and daunting process. Car crashes can happen to anyone, no matter how safe and cautious a driver they are. In moments like these, it's important to remain calm and take the necessary steps to ensure your safety and the safety of those around you. This blog reviews several things you should do if you ever find yourself involved in a car crash.
8 Steps to Follow After a Car Accident
We’ve created an easy 8-step guide to help you navigate the fallout surrounding a motor vehicle accident. The following list can help ensure you and your interests are protected until you determine your next steps:
- The first thing you should do after a motor vehicle accident is get off the road (and behind a median barrier where possible) and call 911, even if no one involved in the accident is hurt.
- Exchange information with the driver of the other vehicle and any witnesses. Ask for the name, address, phone number, the car's make, model, and year, and the driver's insurance information.
- Take photos of the accident scene, including damage to your vehicle and the other driver’s vehicle
- If you are hurt, seek medical attention as soon as possible.
- Report your accident to your insurance company as soon as possible, but only provide basic facts, don’t give a recorded statement.
- Don’t accept a settlement from an insurance company without talking with an attorney. More than likely, with legal representation, you can be offered more.
- Don't share anything regarding your accident on social media. What you post can be used against you later, even if your account is private.
- Don’t wait to call LGKG. Even though hiring an attorney is the last thing on your mind after an accident, you shouldn't wait.
Being involved in a car crash can be a scary experience, but taking these steps can help you handle the situation calmly and get the help you need. Remember to stay safe, exchange information with others involved, and contact your insurance company as soon as possible to begin the claims process.
Why Contacting an Attorney is Important
In addition to the steps listed above, it's important to remember to remain calm and collected in any situation. Avoid getting into arguments or blaming others, and make sure to listen to the other driver's side of the story. If you're feeling overwhelmed or in shock, take a few deep breaths or call a friend or family member for support. It's also important to understand your legal rights and options in the event of a car crash. If you believe the other driver's negligence caused the accident, you may be entitled to compensation for any damages or injuries. Consider speaking with a personal injury lawyer to understand your legal options and get help with the claims process. Remember, taking care of yourself and your well-being should be the top priority after a car accident.
Auto Accident Attorneys Ready to Help at LGKG
In Pennsylvania, you only have two years from the date the injury occurred to file a lawsuit. The longer you wait after your injury, the harder it becomes to prove your case. When you choose LGKG to represent you, know that you are in good hands, and you can trust us to do everything in our power to resolve your claim. Contact us today at (724) 576-8855 to schedule a consultation.