New Castle Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys
Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect in Pennsylvania
Long-term care facilities promise to care for your elderly loved one as well as you do—at least that’s what they say in brochures and interviews. Unfortunately, these facilities and their staffs often fall short when it comes to providing an acceptable standard of care. Sadly, nursing home abuse and neglect are rampant in the United States; as many as one in three elderly adults may be the victim of nursing home abuse, and a whopping two out of three nursing home and assisted living facility staff members admit to abusing or neglecting residents, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).
At Luxenberg Garbett Kelly & George, we are committed to holding nursing homes and their staff accountable for medical negligence, neglect, and abuse. If your elderly parent or family member suffered a serious injury, became suddenly ill, complained of abuse, or died while in the care of a nursing home, residential facility, or personal caregiver, reach out to our team today. We can evaluate your potential claim for damages and immediately begin pursuing the justice you and your family deserve.
What to Do If You Suspect Nursing Home Abuse or Neglect
If you suspect that your elderly loved one—or any other individual in the care of a long-term assisted living facility—may be the victim of nursing home abuse or neglect, you should immediately report it to the proper authorities. If you believe someone may be in imminent danger, call 911. You can also contact local law enforcement and/or report suspected abuse or neglect to the facility’s administration.
You can also report nursing home abuse or neglect to Pennsylvania’s Adult Protective Services (APS) agency by calling the 24-hour hotline at 1-800-490-8505. You can visit the APS website here for more information.
It is also a good idea to contact a nursing home abuse attorney as soon as possible. An attorney will be able to begin investigating your claim and can determine whether you are entitled to financial compensation for your damages. At Luxenberg Garbett Kelly & George, our National Board of Trial Advocacy Board-Certified Civil Trial Specialists have recovered compensation in cases of extreme, egregious, and almost unbelievable mistreatment.
In one case we handled, a 78-year-old woman who had wandered off the premises on previous occasions slipped away again and was raped by a visitor who had been escorted off the grounds just days earlier. We obtained a six-figure settlement for the utter negligence in failing to protect the woman from herself and others. Our investigation also revealed multiple violations of federal rules governing nursing home care.
Not all nursing home negligence is so egregious, but we have helped clients who have suffered serious harm relating to:
- Falls and other accidents caused by lack of assistance
- Falls from beds due to lack of rails or restraints
- Bedsores from neglect or bad mattresses
- Injuries during transfers
- Excessive restraints or oversedation
- Emotional abuse or punishment
- Physical abuse or unexplained injury
- Unexpected or wrongful death
- Malnutrition and/or dehydration
- Medication errors
- Failure to diagnose and treat illnesses
- Inadequate security and supervision
- Sexual assault by staff, visitors, or residents
We obtain patient records and have cases examined by a forensic nurse who can advise what standards of care were broken. Our investigation includes obtaining interviews and depositions from the victim, other residents, and staff members, as well as the criminal and employment history of implicated staffers and an analysis of similar abuse or neglect claims against the facility or administrators.
Common Nursing Home Injuries
Since the elderly are particularly susceptible to injury and illness due to their advanced age and existing medical issues, any additional injury that results from negligence can be life-threatening. If your loved one has shown signs of injuries that occurred while in a nursing home, our New Castle nursing home abuse and neglect attorneys can help hold the facility, staff, and any other negligent parties responsible.
Nursing homes will often attempt to explain away injuries—people fall, things happen. However, these cases must be thoroughly investigated to ensure the future safety of your loved one and all the residents at that facility.
At LGKG, we confidently handle situations involving all types of nursing home injuries, such as:
- Cuts, abrasions, and bruises, which often indicate excessive restraint or even assault
- Broken bones/fractures due to falls and other accidents
- Physical illness due to medication errors, malnutrition, dehydration, and general neglect
- Infections due to the lack of attention to cuts or skin ulcerations
- Head, neck, and back injuries resulting from falls and other accidents
- Sexual assault injuries, whether from rape or another intentional injurious act
- Bedsores or decubitus ulcers, often resulting from the failure to properly position and move bedridden patients or unsatisfactory mattresses
- Emotional harm related to intimidation, verbal abuse, or other aggressive behaviors from staff or other poorly controlled patients
Whether the injuries, illness, or death resulted from carelessness, negligence, abuse, or an intentional act, you deserve to know that your loved one is protected and that the negligent party can no longer hurt the victim or anyone else. We are not afraid to take these cases to trial, and our opponents know it. Our firm is staffed with several highly skilled trial lawyers who will go to great lengths to see that justice is served.
Signs of Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect
Many victims of various types of nursing home abuse and negligence do not report what they experienced because they are afraid, ashamed, or unable to do so. Family members may notice certain signs that could indicate potential issues, such as neglect.
Some common indicators of nursing home negligence and abuse include:
- Your loved one has lost weight or is suffering from issues related to dehydration
- There is evidence of unsanitary conditions in the facilities or the patient’s room
- Your loved one has unexplained injuries, such as bruises, cuts, or suspicious marks
- Your family member is withdrawn or showing other signs of depression
- Your loved one has fallen or been involved in a preventable accident
- There are signs that your family member has not received proper medical care
- Your family member has complained of abuse or neglect by staff or fellow residents
- The nursing home doesn’t allow visitors or does not permit you to be alone with a resident
- There are unexplained withdrawals from your loved one’s bank accounts
- Changes have been made to your loved one’s will, power of attorney, or similar documents
Our attorneys have successfully handled nursing home abuse and neglect cases, and we will take immediate action to thoroughly investigate your loved one’s situation and identify an appropriate course of legal action. Neglect and mistreatment in nursing homes are unacceptable, and we can help you fight back.
Helping Your Family Move Forward
Learning that your elderly loved one suffered because of neglect or abuse at the hands of trusted caregivers can be shocking, disheartening, and overwhelming. Luxenberg Garbett Kelly & George can help your family during this difficult time, pursuing damages and compensation for physical injuries, additional medical care, and emotional duress. Our team truly cares about each and every client, and we prove it through our fierce dedication to helping our clients recover the full, fair compensation they are owed. As your legal team, we will take the time to get to know you, listen to your story, and share how we can help you and your family fight for justice.
Based in New Castle, LGKG serves clients throughout Western Pennsylvania, including in Beaver Falls, Butler, Ellwood City, Cranberry Township, and all of the surrounding areas. We offer our legal services on a contingency fee basis, meaning you don’t owe any attorney fees or pay any costs associated with litigating your case unless we recover a settlement or verdict on your behalf.
We've been designated Pennsylvania Super Lawyers for over 15 years, and we have Martindale-Hubbell’s highest rating for legal ability and ethics as determined by peers in the legal community.
We have been a staple in this community for over 80 years representing our friends and neighbors.
We have recovered over $200 million in verdicts and settlements for our clients.
At LGKG, we do what we say we are going to do. Earning your trust is paramount to us, and we've been keeping our promises for over 80 years.
Our team has over 100 years of combined legal experience.
At LGKG, it's not about us, it's about you.