New Castle Defective Product Attorneys
Product Liability in Pennsylvania
When the various products we use in our daily lives—everything from our cars to our cellphones to the medications we take to keep us healthy—are defective, they put us at risk of serious injury. In fact, defective products are responsible for countless injuries and deaths in the United States each year. At Luxenberg Garbett Kelly & George, we believe that product manufacturers, distributors, and designers should be held accountable when the consumer goods they create and sell fail to work properly, leading to severe bodily injury or death.
Since 1933, our firm has fought for the rights of everyday people throughout Western Pennsylvania. We have the necessary resources, experience, and legal knowledge to effectively take on major manufacturers and others involved in the creation and distribution of defective consumer products. Throughout our years in practice, we have secured hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation for our clients, and we are prepared to fight tirelessly for the full, fair recovery you are owed.
If you or your loved one was injured by a defective product, call LGKG at (724) 576-8855 or contact us online for a free consultation with one of our New Castle product liability lawyers.
What Are the Three Types of Product Defects?
Although a product may contain any number of defects, these defects are generally categorized into three different types.
The three types of product defects include:
- Design Defects: A design defect refers to an inherent flaw in the design of a product that makes the product unreasonably unsafe for typical use. For example, a top-heavy SUV that is prone to rolling over or excessively wide openings on a safety guard for a metal fan would both be considered design defects.
- Manufacturing Defects: Manufacturing defects occur when a product is properly designed but a flaw is introduced during production. Examples include incorrectly installed seatbelts in an automobile, power tools that are manufactured without safety guards, or medications that become contaminated.
- Labeling/Marketing Defects: Labeling and marketing defects are typically grouped together due to their similarities. A labeling defect refers to missing instructions, safety warnings, or other important labels, such as electrical appliances that are missing electric shock warnings. A marketing defect occurs when a product is improperly advertised, such as an anti-nausea medication marketed to pregnant women despite having never been tested for this use.
At Luxenberg Garbett Kelly & George, our New Castle defective product attorneys know how to investigate product liability claims to determine what type of defect the product contained and, most importantly, who is liable.
We often work alongside accident reconstructionists, medical professionals, economists, and expert witnesses to gather critical evidence and prepare our clients’ cases for litigation. Insurance companies know that we actually try cases, which often pushes them to offer fair settlements to our clients, rather than go to trial.
Examples of Common Defective Products
Any consumer or commercial product has the potential to be defective, but some of the most common examples include:
- Auto defects, such as tire blowouts, airbag failures, roof crushes, defective seatbelts/restraints, missing engine components, and brake failures
- Household appliances, including faulty natural gas and electrical appliances, such as water heaters, washers and dryers, stovetops, heaters, lawn mowers, and power tools
- Infant and children’s products, including toys, blankets, cribs, car seats, booster seats, clothing, bottles, pacifiers, and more
- Industrial tools, equipment, and machinery, such as hydraulic machines, bailers, forklifts, cranes, scaffolding, graders, and paving rollers
- Aircraft defects, such as faulty aircraft design, defective rudders, engine failures, defective landing gear, and improperly installed or faulty safety equipment
- Personal electronics and electronic equipment, such as computers, laptops, cellphones, batteries, chargers, and e-cigarettes
At LGKG, we have a proven track record of representing victims of all types of defective products, as well as the families of those wrongfully killed in accidents caused by faulty or flawed consumer goods. Some of our successes include the representation of a man whose fingers were crushed by a defective hydraulic machine that failed to stop compressing after the man hit the stop button, numerous cases involving dangerous roadway design and defective highway signage, and a case involving a defective aircraft rudder that resulted in a crash that killed 132 people.
Visit our Significant Cases page to read more about some of the cases we have handled and the people we have helped.
Our Board-Certified Civil Trial Specialists Are Ready to Fight for You
Product liability cases tend to be very complex. It can be extremely challenging to go up against a powerful manufacturer or its insurance company without the help of a skilled product liability lawyer, like those at Luxenberg Garbett Kelly & George.
Our New Castle defective product attorneys are here to protect your rights and advocate for your maximum recovery. Our team has been recognized by prestigious legal organizations, such as Martindale-Hubbell® and Pennsylvania Super Lawyers®, and both Attorney Charles Garbett and Attorney Lawrence Kelly are Board-Certified Civil Trial Specialists by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. This is a unique distinction achieved by only about 2,000 practicing attorneys in the U.S.
When it comes to going up against product manufacturers, distributors, and insurance providers, we know what we’re doing. And, when it comes to our clients, we genuinely care. We don’t just say it; we prove it through our actions and our dedication to achieving the best possible results for the people we serve. We believe in developing real, meaningful relationships with our clients and invite you to reach out to our team today to speak to a member of our team about how we can help you.
There are no attorney fees unless we recover compensation for you. Call (724) 576-8855 or contact us online to schedule a complimentary consultation today.
Why have 10,000 clients chosen LGKG?We Step Up, Stand Up, and Speak Up For Those Who Can’t
We've been designated Pennsylvania Super Lawyers for over 15 years, and we have Martindale-Hubbell’s highest rating for legal ability and ethics as determined by peers in the legal community.
We have been a staple in this community for over 80 years representing our friends and neighbors.
We have recovered over $200 million in verdicts and settlements for our clients.
At LGKG, we do what we say we are going to do. Earning your trust is paramount to us, and we've been keeping our promises for over 80 years.
Our team has over 100 years of combined legal experience.
At LGKG, it's not about us, it's about you.